Thursday, April 2, 2009

PC Oh What?

So I've officially been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). What? Me? What? A hormonal imbalance? Endocrine disorder? Metabolic syndrome / insulin resistance? Higher susceptibility to depression and anxiety? Oh - hey, wait - maybe that DOES explain much of my life. Still, I'm feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. My first inclination is to dive into reading, which I do need to do. But I also need to remind myself to step back and calm down. I have been so anxious and scared and rebellious about it that my food has taken up its residence on my back again, especially the sugary items (exact opposite of what I need to be eating, apparently). One step at a time, one day at a time... there is time to learn about this, time to experiment with what works and what doesn't, time to be me. I've been me for 37 years and probably had this for a good portion of that, so nothing has really changed except my level of knowledge, and hopefully that will help me make good decisions and keep this stuff under control.

I was put on Metformin as of 2 days ago, and so far have had the upset stomach and headache common with that. Hopefully it will go away soon.

If anyone out there in blog land happens to read this and has familiarity with PCOS, could you let me know what you recommend as far as reading, or where to start in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment