Sunday, March 7, 2010

Facebook

Most people who know me know Facebook is one of my current biggest addictions. And yes, I use the word addiction, because I always seem to be on Facebook or talking about Facebook or imagining cute things to say on Facebook, etc. It's a time sucker, and I let it suck my time. I try to justify it by claiming at least it's better than being a heroin addict, and I suppose that's true, but lame. Hee hee.

Recently I told my mom she should make a fan page for her business on Facebook; I'd been trying to get her on FB for a while, but she has had no interest. But for the business, she was willing to give it a go, and I found out to make a business page, one must link it to a personal page, so voila, I got to create one for her. This evening I actually chatted with her through FB chat, AND watched her friend a zillion people, become a fan of numerous pages, and generally act silly. I don't know why this pleased me so much, but it did.

Would my life be better without Facebook? Possibly. I would almost certainly get more done around my home. I might even concede I'd probably pay more attention to my kids and husband. Maybe I'd get outside more. On the other hand, how fun it is to be able to take five or ten minutes here and there to check in with people all across the country - people I knew as a kid, or in college, or know now. I certainly know more about more people in my life than I *ever* would have pre-FB. For an at-home mom, FB affords a cheap escape from the day-to-day drudgery of laundry, dishes, playing Uno, dealing with sibling squabbles, negotiating chores and homework, driving the Taxi Van, and all those other mundane things that fill up my day.

So thank you, Facebook, for letting me connect to so many people. And for letting me chat with my mommy. That was a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment