Monday, March 1, 2010

37!

Today is my last day of being 37. 37 has been my favorite number for about as long as I can remember, so yes, I'm a bit sad that I will never again be 37. Not that being 38 or 39 or 40 will be terrible - it just won't be 37.

So I determined that today I will be in a fantastic mood and celebrate being 37. I always thought something amazing would happen this year. I mean, when I was 17 (my second favorite number), I graduated from high school and then spent four months living in Germany, only to return home because my mom was getting remarried. All big deals. When I was 27, I got married. Huge deal. So of course I assumed when I was 37, something earth-shattering and life-changing (in a good way) would occur.

It hasn't. It's been a pretty normal year - some ups, some downs. But nothing I can point at and say, "Yes! That is the fantastic event that marked my being 37!" I did get to travel to Iowa for my best college friend Jen's 40th birthday. That was awesome. I have dropped 20 pounds this year. That is awesome. I've been on a quest to read 100 books in 2010 and have already whizzed through about 30. That's pretty cool. But not legendary.

Maybe that's O.K. Maybe the wonder, the thrill, the point of being 37 is celebrating all that I have right now, not just events that happened this year. I have a wonderful husband who makes me feel safe and secure, is my best friend, is a fantastic dad, who I think is pretty foxy, and whom I love with all my heart. I have two children who, admittedly, often drive me crazy, but whom I also love fiercely and who surprise me every day. I have two loving cats, a nice house, cars that work, books a plenty to read, the time and freedom to read them and play on the internet and do fun things along side every day chores and obligations. I've got friends I enjoy being around, and who I think enjoy me. I'm in pretty good health, all things considered.

Yes, being 37 has been marvelous. But it's the little things that have made it great. And it's gratitude I feel today, for being able to see that those little things are actually Big Things, and for being happy and thankful for them.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome, Anne! Thoughtful, insightful, and well written. You have a wonderful life! -Big Cuz

    ReplyDelete