Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fitness Reboot

In January of 2007 I decided I needed to be a better example for my kids as far as exercise went, and started walking at the mall every morning with Ellie (she was in her stroller, of course!). In March of that year I joined the Wellness Center. Over the next year and a half, I got more and more into it - did the LiveFit class, where I experienced my first personal training lessons, kept the trainer after the group was done, did the Wellness Center Biggest Loser challenge and came in 3rd (from lots of exercise, didn't really lose weight)... and then, slowly, I've lost it.

The personal trainer with whom I was working and whom I loved dearly left to take another job. Our summer schedule last year made it harder to get to the gym. This year Eleanor's preschool schedule threw me for a loop. I stopped training with my second trainer (whom I liked) for mostly financial reasons, but also because I could tell I wasn't as into it.

So, slowly, embarrassingly, all that progress has been lost. And the shame of that, coupled with the fact that, in truth, as the preschool teacher said about my daughter, I, too, am "not prone to movement," has kept me from doing much about it. I'd much prefer to sit on my butt and talk for hours than move. Even though I enjoy walking and even weight lifting and yoga and aerobics classes, the inertia (and comfort in motionlessness) that precedes them seems to overpower that. It's frustrating and embarrassing and disappointing to realize I'm pretty much back to the same flabby fitness level I was at before I began it all 3 years ago.

How do I dig myself out of this hole and get the oompfh back? I know, I know - as Nike says, "Just Do It!" And that's what I need to do - commit to it and just do it. It takes 21 days to form a new habit, so I need to commit for that long.

The good news is, the Wellness Center is hosting their Stepping Out Challenge next week - the goal is to get 10,000 steps in every day for 7 days. Ironically, that was my original fitness goal before I even added in training and weights and classes and elliptical machines. I just wanted to move more, and thought the 10,000 steps thing was a good idea. Brett and I are both participating in the Challenge, and I want it to be the kick in the butt I need to get back to the 10,000 step mantra. If I end up adding in the other stuff and get extra fit again, great! If I don't, O.K. - let GO of the guilt about it, Anne! But do move. Move often. Get to those 10,000 steps. It's for my health, but it's also for my kids.

So wish me luck! I'll post my total steps once the challenge is done. And watch out for my husband around town - he won this thing last time and is determined to win it again, so he'll be walking pretty much everywhere.

1 comment: