Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Slippery Slope

Most people who know me know we've been adjusting our eating habits, mostly in an effort to see what might help Jeff with his Tourette's. Because of this, we now by and large avoid foods with artificial stuff or preservatives. Not perfectly - we still hit a drive-thru sometimes or give in to the siren call of candy. But most of the time, what's coming into my house is free of ingredients whose names you can't pronounce or recognize.

However, about two weeks ago I decided to really make an effort to drop some weight. I want the image of myself that I have in my head to match reality, and right now it doesn't (not that I am, ahem, skinny in my own mind; I'm just not as big as I am now). I had already debated the merits of allowing myself to drink a caffeine-free Diet Coke here and there, and decided for now it would be O.K.; it feels like a treat and has helped stave off some strong cravings. But... I've also brought some microwaveable meals back into the house, too - you know, the Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine types. Part of me feels this is O.K., as they are quick, easy, ensure I eat an actual lunch, and are calorie- and portion-controlled. Part of me knows that's hogwash. I don't want to be eating them - it's a step back in terms of health, if I'm honest.

So what's the problem? I don't know. I just kind of wanted to acknowledge to myself that I've been sneaking in some of these foods that really, truthfully, because of all the reading I've done, just don't feel right to eat in pursuit of a healthier lifestyle, as well as a healthier weight. It's a short-term gain in terms of convenience, but a long-term loss overall. I need to find other quick options. Right after I go polish off my Weight Watchers Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sundae.

No comments:

Post a Comment