Thursday, February 4, 2010

Anne: Extra Ordinary Girl

Hee hee, that's another title I've come up with for my yet-to-be-written Magnum Opus; a memoir of sorts, I suppose.

I do feel I have an ordinary life. What's special about me that would merit not only writing a memoir, but expecting someone to read it? I don't know. Maybe exactly that - the ordinariness of me. Just a silly middle-aged blonde woman chatting about growing up in Iowa, etc., etc.

I am an Iowan. My parents divorced when I was 5. I skipped 1st grade. I am left-handed. My mom married quickly after her first divorce and divorced again just as quickly. I went to 4 schools in 2 years during my 3rd-4th grade schooling. I was mocked incessantly in junior high for hanging out with 2 older girls who were considered strange; for supposedly being lesbian; for being overweight; for wearing my heart on my sleeve. I loved German in high school and lived in Germany for 4 months post-graduation. In college my big love was someone who had a girlfriend the entire time he and I "dated". I went to grad school and apparently excelled, but never felt confident enough and quit ABD. I married a wonderfully odd man who insists he is normal, and had an intensely difficult baby who turns out to have Tourette's and Asperger's. I lost my second baby, a girl, at 21 weeks from an apparent amnio-infection; she lived 3 hours. My third baby is my spunky sunshine. But I battled bad postpartum anxiety with both of my full-term babies. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Oh, that's my life. Guess I don't need to write a book after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment